A Taste of Italy is a relatively new spot, in a mini mall on Meadow Ave in Scranton, hardly a neighborhood-type place. But a surprise. It is a cross between a classy joint and a mall joint. There’s a spot for a maitre d; cloth napkins in a glass; and a leather-bound wine list – and at the same time two TVs, backed up by music; acoustic tile ceilings; and a bunch of booths (to complement the tables and small bar). Another sign of class is the white-bone square plates for everything. An extensive menu, all Italian with a large selection of pasta and homemade sauces, along with pizza. And an excellent wait-staff, male and female, and youngish. Although I was there on an off-night, it is clear that they do a great business, and folks (including some professionals) know each other.
The pasta was great, firm and not overcooked. The homemade sauce was also good – though I wonder why does it separate? At the bottom of your plate why do you have some reddish broth-looking liquid leaking out?
The highlight were the meatballs – two small ones, conjoined. As I ate one-half of one, I marveled and speculated as to whether they had some machine in the back which packed the meatballs so tightly. The flavor was great – I forced myself to alternate bites of meatball with the spaghetti, since the meatball taste carried over to the spaghetti mixture.
The salad was another delight. I think I counted at least four different kinds of lettuce – maybe more – with a balsamic vinaigrette. Just the right amount of moisture, and the fresh freshness just kept you crunching.
What was announced as Italian bread looked like two little twisted rolls, very hot. But when you broke them in half, buttered them and bit into them - yes, indeed, they were Italian bread. The wine was Chianti – they did sell it by the glass and it was wonderful.
The tariff was pricey - $11.95 for the pasta and $2.00 for the meatballs (they are listed separately on the menu) and $6.50 for the wine, for a total of $20.45.
Style/Ambience ****
Food *****
Tuesday, February 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment