Ragnacci’s is an old-time Italian place in an Italian town. There is a large, informal dining room in the back filled with families of all ages, and a barroom up front, with seats at the bar and booths behind a divider. The décor is middle class. On a Friday night, the place was packed with people waiting for booths and bar seats. Most folks knew each other, and were middle-aged and friendly. “How are the kids?” “Did you hear about ___________ ?” The bartender knew everyone as well. And people who didn’t know you still spoke to you, asking questions until they found some common ground, a common friend or fellow employee.
The spaghetti was fine – nothing outstanding, but not hard, and not too soft. The sauce was likewise fine, but not remarkable. And so too were the meatballs - definitely edible, and yet nothing to write my mother about. A filling meal, in a pleasant atmosphere, full of people that could be friends or family – but not a gourmet spot.
We also were entitled to soup and salad. I skipped the soup, and the salad was at the salad bar, so I skipped that as well. I was in the middle of heavy conversation, and I didn’t want to lose my bar seat. The bread was just some slices of Italian, with butter in a little plastic dish that gets harder and harder to get the top off as I get older. The Chianti was – well, Chianti.
The price - $9.50 for the spaghetti & meatballs, about $5 for the wine. A deal.
Style/ambience ***
Food ***
Friday, February 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment