Gubbio’s is located in a residential, hilly section of Dunmore, up Chestnut Street about eight blocks from Drinker St. It is in a large house, with a dining room on the right half and a bar on the left. I never made it into the dining room but ate in the bar, which was packed on a Thursday night. They have music a couple nights a week, and had a DJ that night. This is the ‘in’ place nowadays. Lots of folks - Goths, older guys/younger girls, groups of ‘girls’, lots of players - people & names you would recognize. And smoke. The bar seems to be one of those places you apparently can still legally smoke.
So, on to the food. The spaghetti and meatballs were advertised as a large portion, so I opted not to take the salad that was to come with it. The pasta was what I would call medium quality. It wasn’t real soft, nor was it really al dente – about in the middle, but definitely edible. And it came with a meat sauce. The sauce was liquid, and it made the mixture very edible, but I kept trying to find the flavor - or texture - or meaning - to the sauce, but it wasn’t there. But it didn’t drive me away. But even though I couldn’t find anything to talk about it, it was still middling good.
The meatballs – they were big and round and, at least at the beginning, very hot. They were meaty and tasty, but again, I couldn’t really identify a distinctive taste. The more I ate, the more I kept coming across parts of them that were mushy. That led me to wonder how they were cooked. Since they were moderately tasty, I assumed they had been cooked ahead of time and perhaps refrigerated or frozen, and then perhaps popped into the microwave. That would account for why they were both hot and mushy - but all this is pure speculation.
The Chianti – not your best. It tasted a bit warm, sugary and syrupy.
The food cost $8.95, and I forget the cost of the wine.
Style/ambience **
Food **
Thursday, February 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment